Questions rewriting getty/login?

Tom Armistead toma at attctc.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Feb 3 08:33:37 AEST 1990

I have written my own version of getty/login that gets called by init and
am having a ?small? problem and was looking for some advice/help.

The reason I wrote my own was because we needed a fancy screen
with help and windows and so on...

Everything works ok except that init seems to be sending SIGQUIT to the
replacement getty process WAY to often, causing and error
   "respawning to rapidly"

The SIGQUIT always occurs while the getty process is asleep waiting
for the open() on the port to complete (when no device is connected, this
never happens when a device is connected.)

Is there something special that needs to be done before waiting for the
open() to succeed? I have updated /etc/utmp to show a LOGIN_PROCESS,
setting the name to "LOGIN" and the line to the current tty port.

Is there something I'm missing??? I can't seem to find any docs on
exactly needs to happen, so I did a lot of guessing...

I am using ISC 386/ix System V.3.2 v2.0.2.

Thanks,
Tom