getting off the list

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Sun Feb 18 03:20:13 AEST 1990

In article <22434 at adm.BRL.MIL> Schwarz%UNCAMULT.bitnet at ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca
(Erwin Schwarz) writes:
>How does one get off this mailing list?  I've been sending messages to
>INFO-UNIX-REQUEST asking to be signed off but to no avail.  I would
>appretiate someone getting me off this list.

Similar requests have appeared recently in UNIX-WIZARDS (comp.unix.wizards
on USENET).  The answer is:

A. If you are on BITNET, you are probably not on the mailing list.
   Instead, you are probably on a local expansion or on a `LISTSERV'
   list somewhere.  You must ask the person or program maintaining this
   list to take you off the list.  In the case of the LISTSERV
   programs, sending mail to the fake user `LISTSERV' at the
   appropriate host with a special message header or content seems to
   be the approved method.

B. If you are not on BITNET, you may still be on a local expansion.
   Again, you must ask the person or program maintaining this local
   expansion to remove you therefrom.  Requests to the -request list
   will not help.

C. If you are on the main list, send mail to the -request address and
   wait.  Wait up to six months, or more, sometimes.  The people who
   handle these lists sometimes acquire a large backlog.  Most, however,
   try to handle requests within two weeks.

D. If you are on any mailing list anywhere, try to convince your site
   to get USENET news instead, so that each person at your site can
   autonomously decide whether to subscribe to that list or not.  Most
   Internet mailing lists are, and all mailing lists can be, transparently
   gatewayed to USENET news.  NNTP is available for a large class of
   hosts.  Exactly where you should look for NNTP software, I do not
   know.
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris