What new system calls do you want in BSD?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Feb 10 12:45:06 AEST 1990

In article <7904 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> dstewart at fas.ri.cmu.edu (David B Stewart) writes:
>Another feature that would be useful as a BSD system call is to
>lock down one or more pages in physical memory, and allow other
>processors on a common backplane to mmap it.  Of course, this assumes
>appropriate hardware architecture.

It is actually possible to mmap() files over the wire - including
such transport mechanisms as SL/IP or Morse Code over a spark gap
rig.

>As an example, suppose one CPU is running BSD UNIX, while all others have
>some kind of Real-Time OS (our current situation, except we have SunOS).
>It is possible for the UNIX machine to mmap part of the other CPUs
>memory; but the reverse is not possible.

Anything is possible.  Just sit down and dream up some way to make it
work.  There is nothing special about "real time", provided the "real
time" constraints are met.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org