TERMCAP experts READ UP!!!

Steve Friedl friedl at mtndew.UUCP
Sat Feb 17 06:01:22 AEST 1990

In article <12135 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> Look, guys, I went through a lot of trouble to edit the termcap manual
> entry for the 4.3BSD release, bringing it up to date with respect to
> terminfo at the time.

Look, Doug, there are so many implementations of terminfo/termcap
out there that it sounds a little naive to point to one
particular document and think it is somehow representative of the
rest of the world.  While I am sure your docs are great for the
4.3BSD libraries, many of us have to deal with libraries provided
by Informix or CrystalWriter or (horrors) various implementations
of System V.  Seen the termcap man page for the UNIX PC lately?

On one customer machine I have to maintain >three< different
termcap files, each of which are mostly the same but each having
subtle differences and extensions.

> The answers to questions like these are not
> hard to figure out from the specs in the official termcap manual.

"Official Termcap" ?  What a concept.

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl at vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"Winning the Balridge Quality Award is as easy as falling off a horse." - me