Strange problem with /etc/mtab

Bob Vernon bob at pta.oz
Wed Feb 21 17:58:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb17.023003.7444 at phri.nyu.edu> roy at phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Every once in a while, a strangeness shows up in my /etc/mtab file.
>Right now, it looks like:
>
>stdin: not in comprc7decode: 0 0
>/dev/ra0a / 4.2 rw 7 1
>/dev/ra0h /usr1 4.2 rw 1 5
>[etc]
>
>	Does anybody have any idea what might possibly be going on?

A customer of ours once had almost the same problem.  Not the same
strange message but one that just doesn't belong in the mtab file.
The mtab file looked like :-

	Current timezone -10:00 west, Australian style dst
		(-600 minutes west, dst style = 2)
	/dev/iop/pdisk00a / 4.2 rw,noquota 1 1
	/dev/iop/pdisk00d /usr 4.2 rw,noquota 1 2
	[etc]

Took ages to track it down but it was obvious once I realised what
had happened.

In our /etc/rc script the following sequence of commands occur :-

	/etc/timezone -600 2	>/dev/null
	[ about 2 screenfuls of comments and other commands ]
	cat < /dev/null > /etc/mtab

One day someone trashed /dev/null.  ("It looked like a silly name so I
I removed it").  So guess what happened on the next reboot.  I would
guess that it is some similar sequence of clearing mtab on your system.

      -m-------   Robert Vernon			  UUCP: pyramid!pta!bob
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology (Australia)  ACSNET: bob at pta.oz.au
  -----mmmmm---   328 High Street		  PHONE: +61 2 415 0515
-------mmmmmmm-   Chatswood 2067 Australia	  FAX: +61 2 417 8636