X terminals on an ethernet

Dan Schlitt dan at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Thu Feb 8 07:13:02 AEST 1990

Some folk here are planning to set up an ethernet with X terminals for
the use mainly of faculty.  They have asked me some questions that I
can't answer because I don't have experience with the beasts.  So I am
asking here to see if I can get expert advice.  While it is more an X
question or a lan question than a unix question perhaps there is some
wizardly advice available.

The plan is to share a stardent titan among the users.  How many X
terminals is it reasonable to hook on the ethernet?  The question is
not really whether the host can handle it but whether the network can
handle it.  Three, 10, 40?

Another way to phrase the question is "how does X client-server
traffic compare with NFS traffic for diskless workstations?"  Folk
here have some feelings about the limits of diskless workstations and
would understand that kind of comparison.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan at sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York