Need help with weird lp problem

Steve Scott sscott at camdev.UUCP
Tue Feb 27 13:52:30 AEST 1990

After updating my operating system(s) from HP/UX 6.5 to HP/UX 7.0
(on HP9000 3x0 boxes), the following scenario occurs:

I have a machine (say cammax) which does not have a laser printer
connected to it.  But I do have a machine (say camdev) which does.

On cammax, I put a script in /usr/spool/lp/model which contained
the following pertinent line

cat $file | remsh camdev lp

(remsh is HP's rsh (remote shell command))

Under 6.5, this worked just fine.

But, under 7.0, the weirdness begins:

On cammax, if I type

    cat file_name | remsh camdev lp

everything works just fine (like it did under 6.5)

BUT:

if I say lp file_name (on cammax), nothing prints on camdev.

I have traced the problem this far:

When the remsh is performed on cammax (by hand), the temporary files
on camdev (the cAxxxxcamdev and dAxxxxcamdev ones in
/usr/spool/lp/request/lp) have permission 400 and owner = lp (grp = bin).

When the remsh is performed on cammax (via the script), the files reach
camdev BUT the cAxxxxcamdev file has permission 400 and owner = root

It appears that this causes the error:

"cannot lock file cAxxxxcamdev"

So:  1)  why did this work under 6.5 and not HP/UX 7.0:

AND

     2)  why would the owner on the temp files be lp when remsh
	 executed interactively and the owner on the temp files
	 be root when executed via the script?

I guess I oughta tell you that I am logged in as sscott (for example),
so the owner of the file in neither case has the same owner as the
person logged in at the time of invocation

Any ideas?  I'm pulling my hair out.  If I haven't explained this
problem well enough, please email me at sscott at mot.com or call

--
Steve Scott            UUCP: {texbell|texsun}!csccat!camdev!sscott
Motorola, Inc.         Internet : sscott at mot.com  Telephone : 1-817-232-6317