How do I use /dev/trace?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Feb 7 20:19:21 AEST 1990

In article <1148 at aoa.UUCP> mbr at aoa (Mark Rosenthal) writes:
> We have been running Ultrix 3.0 on our 8650 for close to a year.  Three times
> in the past two weeks, we have found permissions on /tmp changed.  Naturally,
> when that happens, half the programs in the known universe stop functioning.

I had a similar problem here, and it turned out to be mostly confusion.

What happened was that for some reason I was doing a newfs for the /tmp parition
and then mounting it.  The protection for /tmp directory that I was mounting the
partition on was 777, but when newfs creates a file system, it apparently makes
the "root" entry on the new filesystem have 755'is protection and when you mount
the new filesystem, this is what you get.

Anyway beyond trying to remember to do a newfs/mount/chmod when preparing a new
/tmp or /usr/tmp filesystem, I also stuck a chmod 777 /tmp /usr/tmp after the
mount -a in /etc/rc to protect against future failing.

Please post anything you find out out the sys_trace stuff.  I'm curious.
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com