mirrored file systems

Bob Goudreau goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Wed Feb 14 08:32:48 AEST 1990

In article <4882 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> truesdel at sun217..nas.nasa.gov (David A. Truesdell) writes:
>In addition, a mirrored filesystem won't help your I/O throughput.

Actually, that depends on the system's read/write ratio.  Writes to
a mirrored file system obviously must result in I/O to each (valid)
side of the mirror.  But reads, on the other hand, only need to
find *one* good copy.  An intelligently implemented mirrored file
system can increase I/O throughput by distributing read requests
evenly among the copies, thus leaving the unused sides of the
mirror free to service other incoming read requests.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA