Ethernet problem

J. Kim jkim at nadc.arpa
Sat Feb 17 08:54:45 AEST 1990

TO: ethernet and internet experts

We have been hooked up to the MILNET for years.  Just recently a need
has been defined to set up an ethernet network with other machines at
our installation.  We currently run with UNIX 4.3 BSD on a VAX 11/780
using the named server.  I need to know what the problems are in hooking
up an ethernet network up to our VAX.  We have tried attaching the
network to a VAX 11/780 running UNIX 4.3 BSD without the named server as a test.
The connection was made to the VAX via a DEC DELUA board, so the
software seems standard.  We ran into a few problems.  When we run our
ifconfig de0 inet hostname -trailers up netmask 255.255.0.0, the ifconfig
lo0 localhost reports a bad value.  I can run ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
alright but the name localhost cannot be used.  Also netstat has lost
the ability to use host names, so now it will only work with the -n option.
Telnet ftp and mail are fine to other machines on the ethernet network.
At this point I need more information before I try hooking the ethernet
network to our VAX 11/780 connected to the Internet.  The real hookup will
involve the named server on the VAX and a Promulgate mail server on our
ethernet network to distribute mail to PCs.  Any infomation would be
appreciated.  I suspect that the problems we had were connected with
the netmask but I have not had the time to confirm this.  Please mail
to me directly at jkim at nadc.arpa for we have some tough dead lines.

Jeff Kim

jkim at nadc.arpa