Help with /etc/exports and /etc/netgroup

John JendroSysadmin johnj at jove.cs.pdx.edu
Tue Feb 13 13:44:07 AEST 1990

     I am a system administrator at Portland State University and i am trying
to set up our systems so that only trusted hosts can mount NFS file systems
from our machines, according to the manual pages all you have to do is to
set up a netgroup like this:

nfshosts (psueea.ee.pdx.edu,,) (jove.cs.pdx.edu,,)

and then give a line like this in /etc/exports:

/fs nfshosts

But I cannot get this to work, it will work if I list every host in the
/etc/exports file but there are quite a few hosts on our network so I would
like to consolidate them into a netgroup.

We are running BSD4.3 MtXinu and SUNOS4.03 among others.

John Jendro

CSNET:     johnj at cs.pdx.edu or johnj%reed.bitnet at tektronix.csnet
BITNET:    johnj at reed.BITNET
ARPANET:   johnj%cs.pdx.edu at relay.cs.net or johnj%reed.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
UUCP:      {ucbvax,uunet,gatech}!tektronix!{psueea,reed}!johnj