make -b does what?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Feb 27 11:18:13 AEST 1990

>>	Beats the hell out of me.  I can't even find make in my (6th
>>edition) Unix manual at all.  Did I get a defective manual?
>
>That's because it isn't a flag in older makes.  It is a flag to a newer
>make (just where the newer started I'm not sure) that gives it some
>form of compatibility with the older make.

No, I think that's because make was not distributed with V6.

I believe make first came out of PWB which was a much later
distribution (mostly V6 based, but with things like make added in.)

Originally the V6 kernel and utilities were built with shell scripts
called "run" or something like that.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs at world.std.com