(Deferred: Host Name Lookup Failure)

van at carina.unm.edu van at carina.unm.edu
Fri Feb 2 08:37:16 AEST 1990

We've recently installed sendmail v 5.61 on our VAX 785 running
4.3 bsd. Of late, our sendmail is expiriencing

	(Deferred: Host Name Lookup Failure)

on addresses within our domain as well as outside.

The behavior is highly inconsistent and does not appeared
to be tied to load, or the success/failure of named (bind v4.8)
itself, eg. "nslookup host" commands. I can take an address from the
mailq, run nslookup by hand and have it resolve the address
without issue.

I've also turned on debugging on named. All the info
that is logged in /usr/tmp/named.run appears to report
success, either that or I'm not facile enough with
named diags to know the differnce.

Also, when the queue is forced ( -q -v) all address
will resolve quite nicely.

Has anyone else run into this kind of behavior with
5.61? I'm not a sendmail guru so *any* hints would
be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

---
Van Rauch			van at ariel.unm.edu
University of NM, CIRT		van at unmb.bitnet