bigger longs (64 bits)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Feb 21 05:01:54 AEST 1990

In article <194 at hico2.UUCP> kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>We are starting to have problems because of the wide variety of
>wordsizes on the machines UNIX runs on.  Does it make sense that
>a long is such a different size on different machines?  What if
>you want a guarenteed precision?  I'm beginning to think that
>some kind of declaration construct  like int(need32) var; is needed.

This is not a UNIX issue, it's a programming language issue.

For C, the answer is, yes it DOES make sense to allow the implementation
to take into account the characteristics of the system it runs on.
There are ways in C to program portably; use them.

>We are only going to network more in the future, not less.

We're well aware of the issues you raised.  They are not properly
solved by tacking inadequate kludges onto programming languages.