Undeletable files.

Raja Reader c91a1-rd at amazon.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Feb 23 21:25:47 AEST 1990

Hello.  I happen to run a small workstation cluster hereabouts, and
recently encountered a rather annoying, though not really threatening
problem.
I tried to remove an old, unwanted directory in the root system.
There werea couple of subdirectories in that directory, and no matter what
commands I used, I just could not remove it. rm -R, rmdir, etc.  I then ran
icheck and then fsck, and still no errors were reported.  Then, on
doing an ls -ilR, I noted that the directories were circularly linked!
One of the subdirectories had the same inode number as it's parent.
I then ran clri, and tried to first remove that inode number only, and
then that inode nbr and the other sub-directory inode.  Both times I failed.
I don't know what I can do now - clri has failed!  Short of restoring the
tape-backup from a month ago, I can't think of anything else.
Any ideas, gentlemen?

	Raja S Kushalnagar. (Programmer Analyst I, S & P Dept, UC Berkeley)
Disclaimer: I am only a poor foriegn undergrad sophomore who just turned 18
a half a year ago; if anything serious happens, I plead juvenile delinquency!