Re-Connecting to disconnected processes

Stephen D Carter stevedc at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 21:45:34 AEST 1990

>From time to time processes accessing our Symmetry (running Dynix V3)
get disconnected, probably arising from some event on the network over
which we are connected.

Connection is then re-established, and often it is enough to identify,
check, and double check and then kill the hanging process.  Not always,
though.

Sometimes it might (will!) be better to 're-attach' to the disconnected
process in order to allow the job in hand to be completed in an orderly
way.

Question.  How?

Locally our systems programmers can't identify the way of doing it, nor
can local UN*X guru's.  Can you?

Thank you in advance

Stephen D Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Sussex House, Falmer, BRIGHTON, BN1 9RH.  UK
Tel: +44 273 678203 (Direct line). Tel: +44 273 606755 (Switchboard).
JANET : stevedc at uk.ac.sussex.syma
ARPA  : stevedc%sussex.syma at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
USENET: stevedc at syma.sussex.ac.uk
UUCP  : ...!mcvax!ukc!syma!stevedc
BITNET: ukacrl!sussex.syma!stevedc or stevedc%sussex.syma at ukacrl