vt100 termcap (problem/question)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Feb 25 06:03:29 AEST 1990

In article <7013 at celit.fps.com> hutch at fps.com (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>... (which is what tputs will do for you, based on the "number
>of lines effected").

affected.  Anyway, no it won't, because the affected-lines count is
used by tputs() only when the padding specification in the capability
string is immediately followed by an asterisk.

>... You can pad with any character appropriate to your terminal,
>although I've only every seen Null used as a pad.  Null will certainly
>work for most vt100-clones.

NO, this is not how to determine the padding character.  If the "pc"
string capability is specified, use its value for the padding (should
normally be just one character); otherwise assume NUL and nothing but
NUL for the padding character.

Remember, the whole point of termcap is to avoid wiring terminal-
specific assumptions into applications!