Help-Bus Errors

Jonathan Hue hue at netcom.UUCP
Sun Feb 11 16:48:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb10.192028.16025 at eddie.mit.edu> aryeh at eddie.MIT.EDU (Aryeh M. Weiss) writes:
>Unix systems, dereferencing the dreaded NULL pointer.  SIGBUS errors are
>quite machine dependent, but in my experience can be caused by two
>circumstances

Another thing that can cause bus errors is accessing an address which
is a valid address within your process, but the thing at that location
doesn't respond to a read or write.  An example of this would be a
frame buffer that you mapped into your process' address space, but was
flaky and for some reason didn't generate DTACKs.

-Jonathan