What new system calls do you want in BSD?

Don Lewis del at thrush.semi.harris-atd.com
Thu Feb 8 19:06:45 AEST 1990

In article <23449 at stealth.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <1990Jan24.193433.3332 at semi.harris-atd.com> del at thrush.semi.harris-atd.com (Don Lewis) writes:
>>   open(file,O_PEEK)
>
>This could be a flag on any open, meaning simply ``update ctime rather
>than atime or mtime.'' Crackers already know about utimes(); perhaps an
>O_PEEK flag would educate inexperienced sysadmins.
>
>---Dan
I don't want it to update the ctime either.  I shouldn't have to dump the
file just because someone read it.  It only needs to keep atime from being
changed if you read the file.  If you write to the file, it is still ok
to change ctime and mtime.   I'm looking to preserve the atime so I can still
find unused files (candidates for deletion) even if the hierarchy containing
them has been tar'ed or cpio'ed.  Besides, it's a performance win because
the kernel doesn't have to go back and update all those inodes, sort of like
treating the filesystem as read-only.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del at semi.harris-atd.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028