Copying Multiple Files

Larry Wall lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Sat May 26 14:05:37 AEST 1990

In article <16512 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul John Falstad) writes:
: In article <23368 at adm.BRL.MIL> rose at baby.swmed.utexas.edu (Rose Oguz) writes:
: >The original files have the same root name and different extensions.  How
: >can I copy them to files with another root name while keeping the
: >extensions?
:
: There is an easy way, but unfortunately it involves a csh script.

Well, not necessarily.  On our system it happens you can just say

    copy 's/foo/bar/' foo.*

The copy script is just like the Perl rename script mentioned a while back:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$op = shift;
for (@ARGV) {
    $was = $_;
    eval $op;
    die $@ if $@;
    system "cp $was $_" unless $was eq $_;
}

Perlophobes could probably whip one up in some other language.  Or more
likely, some unholy combination of languages...   :-)

Larry Wall
lwall at jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov