getty problems

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Sun May 6 10:25:37 AEST 1990

This just happens to on a Unix-pc (aka 3B1), but shouldn't be specific to
that machine.

The stock getty program switches interface speeds just fine, but it doesn't
have an option to wait silently for an incoming call before issuing a log in
prompt.

So, I took the getty source from another machine we have (a 3B5, running Sys
V, release 3), and compiled it on the Unix-PC (that getty already had an
option to wait silently).

However, the getty from the 3B5 will only respond to ASCII NULL (ie: \0)
to make a speed change - it ignores BREAK, framing, and parity errors.

According to both the Unix-pc Unix manual section 7 "termio" and the same
in the 3B5 Unix manual, read(0, buf, 1) should return a \0 (ASCII NULL) in
buf[0] when any of BREAK, framing error, or parity error occures.  However,
this does not appear to be happening.

I've tried altering the settings the getty program uses on the port:
all on/off combinations of BRKINT, IGNPAR, and PARMRK to no avail (yes, I
did make sure that INGBRK is/was off).  I even tried using a catch routine
on SIGINT with BRKINT on: the catch routine was never called dispite
typing several BREAKs on a terminal I connected in place of the modem.

To double check, I tried to see it the 3B5 would switch speeds in response
to a BREAK or a framing error - it did not.  The 3B5's getty program
appears to be consistent in its "indifference" to BREAK and framing errors.

Unfortunately, we need BOTH "wait silently" feature and the "switch speeds
on BREAK or framing error" features of getty.

Since we don't have source for the Unix-pc's getty, I don't know what it
is doing differently from the 3B5's getty.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Ron Wilson

"We were wondering when somebody would discover that one."
	- The response of a customer support rep to a customer's phoned in
	  bug report (name of company with held to protect the guilty).

rlw at ttardis	rel.mi.org!ttardis!rlw	  sharkey!cfctech!ttardis!rlw