time dependent login

ihor.j.kinal ijk at cbnewsh.att.com
Wed May 30 05:44:46 AEST 1990

> In article <979 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

  >  I want to enable login to a certain userid only during certain times.
  >Assume that cron can run a program to enable or disable, and that I can
  >do this as root if need be. Given that, is there an elegant way to
  >enable a login only during certain times, and to do so in a way which
  >doesn't lead to possible timing problems or other system uglyness, such
  >as editing the password file directly?

I would consider making the permissions of the user's home directory
as 000 - this should prevent the user from logging in; if not, then
mv the dir to a holding area.  If you don't have a home directory, then
you can't log in, at least on all the systems I've worked with.
[All non-BSD, but I imagine that they should be the same].

#include standard disclaimers.

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnewsh!ijk