filename separators and option indicators

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Thu May 31 19:23:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990May30.045903.14249 at agate.berkeley.edu> dankg at ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Kogai) writes:
>	And I think that apply to other Indo-European language character sets
>also (Suppose British uses starling figure for the place of backslash?)  Come
>to think there's no cent figure for ASCII.  Anyone know why?

Hardly important, but on (at least) most British ASCII terminals and
printers which support the 'pounds sterling' currency symbol, it
replaces the hash (pigpen, us number sign).  On some micro packages it
requires an escape sequence, and is > 0177.  Makes C preprocessor stuff
look funny.  Always have wondered why it didn't replace the dollarsign.
--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee at bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132