Reading tapes

Ron Nash nash at ucselx.sdsu.edu
Tue May 8 08:32:15 AEST 1990

In article <2653 at ariel.unm.edu> cwayne at hydra.unm.edu (Chris Wayne SCONS) writes:

>     I'm looking for a program and/or technique that can read past EOF flags
>on tape, for the sole purpose of reading the data that 'was' on the tape.
>For example (common error), you do a tar -cv on a tape that has data...
>With all of my knowledge, I'd say I'm SOL, but at the same time I know there's
>got to be a way to retrieve the old data.  Any HELP will be appreciated.

You can use dd to move the tape past EOF.  You must use the no-rewind
tape device for this to work (the tape device names that end with a "n").
Try "dd if=/dev/rmt1hn of=/dev/null" to move the tape forward one "file"
or EOF flag at a time.  If you have the mt command, you can use it to
do the same thing.

--
Ron Nash
San Diego State University