System Panic Message VFS_REMOVE

Dick Hacking dick at unix386.Convergent.COM
Sat May 5 03:46:42 AEST 1990

In article <356 at ticnj.UUCP>, satish at ticnj.UUCP (News Administrator) writes:
> I am using a rm command to empty a file system through a crontab entry, which
> causes the system (sparcstation running SUNOS Rel. 4.0.3c) to panic
> and reboot !!
>
> 	mount /dev/.... /mnt
> 	cd /mnt
> 	for i in * ; do rm -rf $i ; done

Why not just use mkfs to recreate the filesystem.
This has the advantage that performance will be much better
than that over the fragmented filesystem left by removing
lots of files. It will also bypass the cause of the panic if
you are lucky ;-)

Dick Hacking