small files and big directories (was hard links to symlinks)

Edward Vielmetti emv at math.lsa.umich.edu
Mon May 28 05:27:51 AEST 1990

(bix has plenty of users)

> all of those '..' links killed it.  So, some midnight (literally)
> programming was done, and the next day joeuser's per-user files
> were in users/j/joeuser, rather than users/joeuser.  That got them
> going again, but they still had the wall at 26,000 users to worry
> about.

the umich.edu afs cell has taken this one step further -- my account
there is users/e/m/emv.  unfortunately the top /afs level is totally
flat, I expect that'll change as more and more cells come on line
on some horrible and painful re-naming day.

one world, one filesystem -- did I hear "one vendor" too?

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv at math.lsa.umich.edu>
"security through diversity"