SLIP - Serial Line Internet Protocol

Michael Ginsberg mg32+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 29 00:37:16 AEST 1990

I would like to be able to transfer data from a networked unix machine to a
portable computer which cannot be put on the network.  Both machines do have
serial ports, and it was suggested that I look into SLIP, the Serial Line
Internet Protocol.  However, I have been very unsucccessful in tracking down
information on how I can go about using SLIP.  Can someone please tell mewhat
I must do to use SLIP?  Is there public domain software out there?  Is it part
of the system already?  Thanks alot for any useful information/pointers.
Please respond via email as I don't read this board.  If there is any/enough
response, I will post a summary.

--Michael Ginsberg, i386 Mach Group, School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

ARPA:   mg32+ at andrew.cmu.edu             |Electrocution, n:
BITNET: mg32 at cmccvb                      |    Burning at the stake with
UUCP:   ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mg32+ |    all the modern improvements.