References to Streams applications

Michael Kandall kandall at nsg.sgi.com
Sat Apr 13 02:19:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr11.153008.1442 at hjuxa> jjf at hjuxa (35G-FRANEY) writes:

 |Hello,
 |
 |I'm interested in learning about how System V Streams are being
 |used.  I've seen its use in a layered stack archetecture (ala OSI),
 |and glimpses of its use as by tty line discipline/driver.  I've also had
 |the pleasure of designing and implementing two modules for data communications.
 |
 |If anyone knows of or has seen periodical articles or books aimed at
 |describing the various uses of Streams, or at a particular application
 |design, or of the problems Streams made or solved for a given implementation
 |could you please forward the reference to me?

AT&T USL offers an input method for Japanese based on STREAMS.

In Japanese, since there are more characters than keys on the keyboard,
 a dialog occurs in which a user selects the desired character.
After selection, the character is passed to the application.

Depending on the application and environment, since the dialog
manager fits between the terminal and the application, STREAMS
can be a natural place for it.

Also, different users can use different input methods with the
same application in a modular fashion without recompilation,
and all the other usual STREAMS benefits.

I thought it was a fairly unique use of STREAMS which is
non-networked.

 |Thank-you
 |jjf at sysv.enet.dec.com
 |rutgers!hjuxa!jjf