out of swap space?

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Wed Apr 24 23:14:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.214214.16521 at netcom.COM> aed at netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) writes:

>Hi
>I am currently trying to port an application from a sun sparc station
>to SCO ODT UNIX. I seem to get some weird run time core dumps. I
>talked to the orginal authour of the code, and was told that this
>might because my system is running out of swap space?

Have you ever ported to a 80386 box before?  Unlike the 3b2 and other machines
the 386 in unforgiving on null pointers.  Perhaps there is minor bug or
something in the code.

>HOW BIG SHOULD MY SWAP BE? I have 8megs of ram

On UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 (I believe SCO UNIX is a variant of this)
SWAP should be about 15% of disk or perhaps in your case 12 meg (1.5 of ram).
As a side note, SVR4 would required twice ram from swap but thats a different
story.

>ARE THERE ANY TOOLS TO HELP ME MANAGE / MONITOR MY SWAP SPACE?

You can run:
	# swap -l
	# sar -r

Look at the book: System Performance Tuning by O'Reilly and Associates, Inc
pages 118 ->

>thanks in advance Andy

Sincerely,

John Urban