Dual Universes

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Apr 27 05:33:46 AEST 1991

In article <mxtg5lj at rpi.edu> fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu (Brian Fitzgerald) writes:
-Root Boy Jim writes:
->Some vendors have "dual universe" machines, where you can
->pretend that you're on a machine running Berkeley Unix or
->one running System V. Other vendors start with one as a base
->and add features of the other. Of course it is easy to just
->add missing pieces; the hard part is resolving conflicts.
-...
->Which model do you think serves customers better?
-If I could avoid installing two universes on my machine, I probably
-would.

As the implementor of the second "dual universe" BSD/ATT implementation
(Pyramid was the first), I'd like to say that dual universes suck.
If you can, simply use SVR4 and get essentially all the BSD facilities
worth having added in a consistent way to a technically superior base
system.