POSIX bashing

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Wed Apr 17 04:32:31 AEST 1991

In article <MEISSNER.91Apr15215423 at curley.osf.org> meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>In article <111 at imsdx3.UUCP> chris at imsdx3.UUCP (Chris Ott) writes:
>
>|   1) Symbolic links. C'mon guys, how hard can this be to implement?
>
>I was working with a UNIX vendor that did this, and it was painful to
>get all of the commands modified to support symlinks correctly.

I can see that it might cause *some* pain, but it should be worth it.
I hope their definition of "correct" was correct. Basicly, any
command that deals with the file system as a tree structure
(dump, tar, rm, etc) should treat symlinks specially (not follow them),
while most programs should treat them as hard links.

One good way to identify these programs would be to grep for 'stat('.
--
		[rbj at uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane