X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Dave Mack csu at alembic.acs.com
Mon Apr 15 00:31:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882 at watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle at watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>X does suck, but its popularity seems inevitable, since it doesn't cost any
>money.  Other, better systems could have become the de facto standard, had
>they been as cheap.  Of the set of free, reasonably portable, reasonably
>hardware-independent window systems that have been available since
>workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
>that set has only one member.

Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
seen no sign of it. Pity.

[Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

--
Dave Mack