umask for ordinary files in CSH

Tom Reingold tr at SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU
Tue Apr 9 04:50:33 AEST 1991

In article <15715 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn)
writes:

$ Well, that manual is wrong.  It was a mistake for it to have said anything
$ more than "sets the process's umask to nnn (see umask(2))".  That is all
$ the shell does with the umask value specified.  If you look up umask(2) it
$ should say in effect that the low 12 bits of the umask value are NANDed
$ with the modes specified for O_CREATs etc.  In other words, 1 bits in the
$ umask indicate which mode bits are to be turned OFF from the set normally
$ specified when a file is created.
$
$ By the way, this was not a Wizardly question.

Sometimes, a wizard is defined as someone who knows what you want to
know.  I am not being facetious, because if you don't know something,
it may seem to need a wizard to know it.

I know that "what is a wizard?" has been discussed here many times
before.  I see it as a moving target.  Therefore "Does my question
belong in the wizards group?" is also.

I agree that I would prefer not to see the umask question here, but I
see no practical means to prevent it.  I find the very idea of a
"newsgroup" to be artificial.  We need something better, but I have
just opened a topic more fit for news.misc...
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr at samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr