POSIX bashing

peter da silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Apr 26 05:46:47 AEST 1991

In article <72242 at brunix.UUCP> cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
> As someone has already pointed out, the cost of context switching to handle
> character I/O is negligible on most new systems.  Why bloat the kernel any
> more?  Why not put it in a shlib and let the apps use it?

Same objection as putting the toolkits in shlibs in X. The control flow
is all wrong, and you're forcing the application to respond in real-time.
Why?

Cooked mode is perfectly adequate for 90% of applications, and raw mode
is available for the 10% that need more.

(and, yes, window management belongs in the bloody server)
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com