BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Apr 29 14:14:55 AEST 1991

In article <kre.672866069 at mundamutti.cs.mu.OZ.AU>, kre at cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) writes:
|> [description of a daemon-based message service]
|>
|> This stuff is not available (yet) so don't bother asking - the guy
|> who is actually writing the code has other things to do as well.
|> (My role is largely to tell him just why its not quite right yet...)

  Your code may not be available yet, but Project Athena's Zephyr is.

\begin{plug}

  It is distributed (it works for us in an environment with over 1000
workstations), it supports Kerberos authentication (if you want it), it
supports multiple interfaces both for message senders and message recipients,
and all functionality is encapsulated in a library, so people can write their
own interfaces if they want (I know someone who has implemented much of the
Zephyr library in perl :-).

  For more information, you can anonymous ftp to athena-dist.mit.edu
[18.71.0.38] and look in /pub/usenix/zephyr.PS for a (PostScript) paper about
Zephyr that was presented at Usenix, or look in /pub/zephyr for the source
code et al.

  If you don't have anonymous ftp access, you can send mail to
"archive-server at athena-dist.mit.edu" with "help" in the body to find out how
to get the stuff via E-mail.

\end{plug}

  If you have questions about Zephyr, I'd be glad to answer them, but please
read the Usenix paper before asking them in E-mail (unless you can't read
PostScript; I don't know where the text version of the paper is, or I'd say).

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace