BSD counterpart to SYSVR4 "dfshares"

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Wed Apr 3 05:23:32 AEST 1991

In article <...gyfm at rpi.edu> enforcer at nuge101.its.rpi.edu (Paul J Stewart) writes:
>    I'd like to know if there are any counterparts to the program "dfshares"
>that runs under SYSVR4, which basically looks at the machine given on the
>command line and returns the directories that are currently being "shared"
>-- allowed for mounting from another site.  This relieves a lot of pecking
>around and would be really neat if it was supported under BSD...

BSD Unix doesn't have any directory sharing capability built in.  Are you
talking about BSD + NFS?  If so, your description of dfshares sounds like
"showmount -e", which lists all the directories that are exported.  Other
options to showmount let you see which directories have actually be mounted
by remote hosts.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com