POSIX spec: where can I get one ?

Jose Fernandez jaf at inference.com
Thu Apr 18 05:18:09 AEST 1991

    I have seen a lot of discussion about POSIX and most of the unix boxes I
    use are POSIX compliant.  But I have not yet seen a paper describing
    POSIX.  Does anyone know where I can get the POSIX spec ?

Minh,

Here's some info I have on how/where to get various "standards" documentation:

    This is taken from an "HP Professional" article I read.  The article wasn't
    particularly useful, but the sidebar was great:

	o To acquire the SVID standard, contact:

	      AT&T Customer Information Center
	      Attn: Customer Service Representative
	      P.O. Box 19901
	      Indianapolis, IN 46219
	      (800) 432-6600 (U.S. only)
	      (800) 255-1242 (Canada only)
	      (317) 352-8557 (outside of U.S. and Canada)

	o To acquire the POSIX.1 standard, contact:

	      Publication Sales
	      IEEE Service Center
	      P.O. Box 1331
	      445 Hoes Ln.
	      Piscataway, NJ 08854-1331
	      (800) 678-4333
	      (201) 981-0060

	o To acquire the ANSI/X3.159-1989 Programming Language C Standard,
	  contact:

	      Sales Department
	      American National Standards Institute
	      1430 Broadway
	      New York, NY 10018
	      (212) 642-4900

	o The FIPS 151-1 document can be obtained from:

	      National Technical Information Service
	      U.S. Dept. of Commerce
	      5285 Port Royal Rd.
	      Springfield, VA 22161
	      (703) 487-4650

	  FIPS is the Federal Information Processing Standard.  "This standard
	  is essentially the same as the POSIX standard, except more stringent
	  requirements concerning system and file security were imposed.  This
	  standard is administered by the National Institute of Standards and
	  Technology."