Password grinding (Was: Hacking)

Pete Shipley shipley at remarque.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:16:13 AEST 1991

In article <PJNESSER.91Mar27142853 at mbunix.mitre.org> pjnesser at mbunix.mitre.org (Nesser) writes:
>Someone in this thread pointed out that the way to crack passwords is to
>maintain a list of encrypted dictionary words and compare against that.  I
>just want to point out that this is an amazingly expensive way to do it
>since you have to keep 4096 strings for each word.  Disk space is getting
>cheaper but ...  It's not that I've figured out a great way to do it myself
>--

When wrote a system that stores a list on encrypted words on 3 exa-byte
tapes.  The data is stored as a sorted listed structers contained the
encrypted text and a unsigned short.  The u_short contains an index
number to the dictionary used to generate the tapes,  the saved 4-bytes
per entery and improves security since the contence of these tapes
can't not be used to crack a password directly.

The run time to scan these tape was about 2.5 hours (the bottle neck
is in the access time to the tape).