Ware Ware Wizardjin

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Sat Apr 13 20:16:54 AEST 1991

In article <71242 at brunix.UUCP>, cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
> In article <15751 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> Perhaps what many of the old-timers miss most is the expectation
>> that people who use computers would know what they are doing.
[or at least have enough of an idea to avoid major blunders]
> My observation is that an _inquisitive_ user can learn to use any
> software with a simple user interface and a help facility.  It's true
> that studying the manual helps; but I think the problem is the demise
> (or at least the outnumberment) of curiosity.

Partially, but there's also an unrealistic expectation.  Nobody expects
to go driving without knowing how to drive.  When someone uses (say) a
pain sprayer without knowing how it works and how to use it, and (say)
manages to explode a pressurized container of paint all over
everything, everybody says "why didn't you learn how to use it", not
"paint sprayers should be novice-friendly".

Why should computers be any different?

> A lot of users fear and loathe the computer, and want to get their
> work done while learning as little about it as possible.  By
> contrast, the inquisitive user is intrigued by the machine, and
> actually enjoys learning.

True of any tool.  Unfortunately the North American school system
appears to be actively designed to kill curiosity and love of learning;
not coincidentally, I believe, this dreadful disease of expecting
absolutely anyone to be able to use a very complex tool with zero
training is at its worst in North America.

Of course, the priesthood types don't help matters any.  I prefer to
teach the person with the problem how to deal with it without help,
sort of along the lines of the proverb I think I heard as "give a man a
fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him
for a lifetime.".  (Besides, it means that next time that person
doesn't bother me with the same question all over again, and I can
continue reading netnews uninterrupted :-)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu