need advice on IBM UNIX

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Mon Apr 22 03:00:56 AEST 1991

In article <9944 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> Madison MadMan
Miles at mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Madison MadMan Miles) writes:
>I'm planning on buying IBM UNIX, as well as Xwindows for a 33 mhz 386, and am
>wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions as well as give me some
>advice on which one to get.

If it comes from IBM I wouldn't buy it.  I've had three IBM Unix support
experiences so far (IBM Xenix, AIX for PC/RT, AIX for RS/6000) and in all
cases their support is at best bad, at worst abominable.  They build up
an elaborate support network designed for treating "defects", but it is very
difficult to speak to qualified people who can answer your questions.  Instead
you get data entry people who (mis)type your question into their computer
for someone else to call you back later and have you explain your problem all
over again.  Then they send you "updates" that you don't need, don't fix your
problem, and break other things on the system, but at least now you're running
"the latest level" and they're willing to talk to you again.

The bad support wouldn't be so awful if the product worked when
you unwrapped it, but alas, it's from IBM, and they do many things their own
mysterious way often inscrutable even to the most seasoned Unix wizard.

besides IBM.  You won't be sorry.
--
Ed Ravin            | This random number tells the computer that you are
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | a member in good standing.  It is not related to your