POSIX bashing

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Tue Apr 2 01:50:28 AEST 1991

(Barry Shein) writes:
|From: gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn)
|>People who were not involved should not presume to know what the
|>arguments were.  In fact, the 4.2BSD job control hack was a horrible
|>abomination with a large number of technical problems.  POSIX.1 had
|>to reengineer it just to address most of the security and other
|>substantive issues.  It is still widely felt that the job control
|>hack is one of the most inelegant parts of any UNIX variant that
|>has it.  Certainly there have been much better designs for facilities
|>that render the BSD-style hack unnecessary.
|
| Has anyone implemented this design-by-committee? Does it actually work
| (other than in theory)? Is it performant? Is it useful?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
In fact, I've seen it running on a few different OSs, ranging from AIX to
BSD-variants to MACH-variants.
Blind fear doesn't look good on you.....

Mark Brown
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown
		Which came first: The Chicken or the Legba?
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.