Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Apr 28 15:08:04 AEST 1991

From: sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)
>Using shared libraries dropped SCO's distribution from 60 or so floppies to
>about 25 or 30 (they're compressed, as well; the actual floppy count is 13
>or 15, I believe; I doubled for that previous estimate).
>
>Want to tell me again that shared libraries are bad?

Well, there's more to life than saving disk space. Shared libraries
also incur a performance hit which varies on different systems (and
applications on the same system, for example.)

Try running some job using shared and statically linked libraries on
various systems. I've seen from 5-10% to 75% performance degradations
(granted the last was odd enough to look into, but it was there.)

Something that would be nice would be a way to unshare an application
from a vendor's binary distribution. Then no one would have any
complaints.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs