POSIX bashing

Bob Goudreau goudreau at larrybud.rtp.dg.com
Tue Apr 2 13:33:39 AEST 1991

In article <127225 at uunet.UU.NET>, rbj at uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
> ?   Has anyone implemented this design-by-committee? Does it actually work
> ?   (other than in theory)? Is it performant? Is it useful?
> ?
> ?Is performant a real word? Is it necessary? Isn't the English
> ?vocabulary large enough already?
>
> Perhaps performant means "conformant" + "performs"?

Yeah, then how come I can't find "conformant" in my dictionary either?
I suspect that it's one of those bastardized combinations of two other
words, like "irregardless" (coined by someone who confused & combined
"irrespective" and "regardless").  In "conformant"'s case, the
collision appears to be between "conforming" and "compliant".

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA