dosedit style command edit in UNIX?

L. Scott Emmons emmonsl at athena.ecs.csus.edu
Fri Apr 12 03:44:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.212905.2234 at cimcor.mn.org> dick at cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
>most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
>most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
>edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
>or character insertion.
>
>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>such a simple-minded utility?

Well, the 'command stack' is already there, at least in csh and ksh via
the command history...  Try the newest newcsh, it has vi-type editing
of the command history.  Ksh has this feature as well.  I still prefer
the standard csh type command retreival though: !!, !?, !$, et.al.  Old
habits die hard (even the good ones!)

			L. Scott Emmons