POSIX bashing

Chris Siebenmann cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Thu Apr 4 11:07:00 AEST 1991

cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
| Certainly; but bear in mind that all these front ends use the "pty"
| driver, which is a bletcherous hack*, kludged in to get around the
| problems that cooked mode causes.

 My favorite frontend, the terminal-emulator based one, needs a pty
anyways to talk to my shell; it's common these days for the method
people use to access their machines to need at least one pty. I also
think that many of the bletcherousnesses of ptys would probably go away
if they were reimplemented using something general like stream
connections.

 Whether or not ptys and streams are a bletcherous hack depends on your
views on the desirability of having different sorts of tty modes
around, and how much you want to start adding such semantics to pipes.
Personally, I think they're quite usefull, and can be expressed and
used in elegant ways.

--
		V9: the kernel where you can do
			fgrep <something> */*.[ch]