X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Fri Apr 12 22:35:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882 at watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle at watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

>X does suck, but its popularity seems inevitable, since it doesn't cost any
>money.  Other, better systems could have become the de facto standard, had
>they been as cheap.  Of the set of free, reasonably portable, reasonably
>hardware-independent window systems that have been available since
>workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
>that set has only one member.

	Well I for one must disagree with the X sucks.  I personally like
X.  I am much happier than I was with sunview.  I use GNU-Emacs in X mode
and I run Xterm all of the time.  I am primarily a text man so I can't
speek to well for the graphics.

	I think the fact about the only set of free software is true.  This
is the reason I run it.  I can't see shelling out good $$$ for something
like MOTIF when I get much faster response from the stuff from MIT.

	I won't even discuss OpenWindows from Sun sans to say it is slow
and uncustomizable aside from that I don't know why I don't like it.

						Lord John Whorfin