Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Ken Lerman lerman at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Apr 17 21:42:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr15.224311.3950 at ida.liu.se> d89peter at odalix.ida.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) writes:

>I would even go as far as saying that they mostly have positive side-effects.
>That way bug-fixes in the libraries can be introduced and automatically be
>in effect in all the programs that use those libraries. No need to recompile
>all zillions small and big programs.
>
>--
>Peter Eriksson                                              pen at lysator.liu.se
>Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen
>University of Linkoping, Sweden                               Support the LPF!

Way to go...

So I spend weeks trying to track down some bug in one of your
libraries.  Then, since I don't have the source code, I come up with
some ghastly workaround so I can ship my product.

Two weeks after I ship the release to two thousand customers, you
release a new version of your library.

And my code stops working.

A bug fix IS a change in functionality.

Ken