THANK YOU ALL: Can a command be stuffed into History?

Jonathan King squash at math.ufl.edu
Sat Apr 6 10:02:16 AEST 1991

Thanks to everyone for suggesting how I can make one command arrange
that it is easy to execute a second.
    Jamie Mason <jmason at utcs.utoronto.ca>
and others suggested I write an alias which, after it does the desired
actions, defines a short alias for the command I wish to easily
execute later.  I've written it, tried it, it works fine, and I thank
you all for your kind help.
  Other respondents,
    andyb at coat.com,gatech!ames!omni.com!bob at bikini.cis.ufl.edu
suggested using  source -h  in various clever ways.
  I still haven't figured out how Gary Weimer's suggestion of

alias cmd 'FIRST_THING;echo "SECOND_THING";set x=$<;SECOND_THING'

works, but it does.
  Also, it was suggested that such a simple question as mine be
directed to other newgroups such as comp.unix.shell and
comp.unix.questions   I now know of the existence of these groups and
have subscribed to them.
  THANKS EVERYONE.

Jonathan