un-attended backups to exabyte

Yedidya Israel yedidya at bimacs.BITNET
Thu Apr 25 03:11:21 AEST 1991

        Need to backup   some  hosts to  one exabyte    casstte. Hosts
include mixed  architecture:  vaxen, suns,  rs6000  and decstation.  I
wrote  a script that rlogin  to each of the hosts  looks  in fstab (or
filesystems)  for list of  filesystems to backup and dump  them to the
remote exabyte drive.

        Sometimes a host cannot be accessed or connection is closed in
the  middle of backup (could be  because of a  power  failure or other
reason).  I  want to plan  a recovery for  that situation. E.g. mt the
tape to start  of current tape-file,  proceed  to other  host and mark
that  host to be visited later.  Did any one  implemeted such a script
before or should I invent the weel ?

        How can I get the return code from "rsh $dsthost $cmd", seems
that rsh does not preserve $cmd's return code.
--
| Israel Yedidya, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan U, Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL. |
| Internet: yedidya at bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il         Bitnet: yedidya at bimacs |