Hardware flow control for TTY ports under V.3

Paul Nash paul at frcs.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 06:35:20 AEST 1991

I think that I have a problem.  I need to talk from a TTY port on
a 386 Unix box (Intel V.3.2) to a device that does hardware flow
control.  The output port (currently) uses the FAS drivers, but
this software needs to be portable to machines that don't have
such luxuries.

When I openthe port, I use a TCSETA ioctl() to play with baud rates,
etc.  However, as far as I can tell, whether or not I set CLOCAL
(which is the only relevant looking flag that I can find), dropping
CTS doesn't halt the port.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a
hidden flag, or a hidden field in the termio struct, or a hidden
ioctl call?  Is there something else entirely that I should use for
this?  Is my break-out box broken?

I have read the entire FM from cover to cover, in _both_ directions,
about 10 times, and still can't find the answer.

	paul